Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Email: Email Me
Theresa Mains is an attorney and expert forensic accountant who has more than 20 years of unique experience in pursuing and defending cases involving business fraud and embezzlement, white collar crime (civil and criminal), securities fraud, elderly and consumer fraud, mortgage fraud, asset tracing and recovery, and complex business litigation. Through her education and vast experience in financial analysis and forensic accounting Ms. Mains adds a significant value in the Firm’s representation of our clients facing complex business matters in litigation, representation before the IRS in audits and tax court, fraud, asset protection, and asset recovery.
Florida International University College of Law, Miami, Florida
Juris Doctorate, December, 2012
Florida Atlantic University College of Accounting, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Master’s Degree in Accounting (with a concentration in Forensic Accounting), August 2006
Nova Southeastern University College of Psychology, Davie, Florida
Master’s Degree in Mental Health, July 1998
- Consumer Law and Advocacy – Recently negotiated favorable settlement agreements for multiple consumers involved in lawsuits, aggregate value of over $5,000,000, against a multi-million-dollar corporation.
- Expert forensic accountant for civil and criminal matter involving employee embezzlement for over 6 million dollars over a four-year period from a multi-million-dollar business. Successfully assisted the civil attorneys to recovery of damages and asset recovery of over 3 million dollars.
- Non-testifying expert forensic consultant for litigation against large bank for violation of internal BSA/AML/KYC policies reaching settlement of several million dollars.
- Represented Client in the medical industry in an IRS audit. I reviewed all financials and found errors made by the client’s CPA. After making the corrections and amending the returns, I negotiated with the IRS Revenue Agent to lessen penalties and interest with a result of over $30,000 credited to my client for the overpaid taxes.
- After examination of contracts and financial records I testified on behalf of the Florida Attorney General; my findings greatly supported allegations of a multi-million-dollar mortgage fraud resulting in the court granting the Florida Attorney General’s application for an injunction.
- Successfully led Client to equitable settlement of $18,000,000 with her ex-spouse after examining ex-spouse’s Executive Equity Agreement, and its subsequent resolutions, with a multi-billion dollar privately held company. Opposition insisted the shares had no value, however I traced the shares and drafted the written discovery requests for the specific documents and admissions to confirm my findings and estimated valuation.
- Provided problem solving, insight and direction to a non-profit Recovery Center for their response to a performance and compliance audit as the Center was faced with many challenges involving a county budget cut.
- Managed all accounting and business affairs of forfeited businesses and asset liquidation. Identified close to 40 million dollars of undisclosed assets to be forfeited under RICO. Drafted 30-day financial reports to be filed in Federal Court. Facilitated the negotiations, bidding process, due diligence, asset recovery process, and assisted in the sale of multi-million dollar pharmaceutical business and the liquidation of forfeited personal, residential, and commercial property.
- Through analyses of financial statements, emails, other documentations identified misappropriations of funds by officers of Publicly Traded Company including purchase of multi-million-dollar real estate under a shell Nevis LLC incorporated offshore.
- Assisted in the review of suspicious accounts and investigated suspicious transactions. Prepared due diligence, money flow charts, account and link analyses, and other back up documentation for Suspicious Activity Reports for Banks under Cease and Desist Orders.
Other Professional Affiliations
International Cannabis Bar Association
Las Vegas Medical Marijuana Association
Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) Arbitrator
Certificates & Licenses
- Member of Nevada Bar, No. 13373 since February 6, 2015.
- Admitted to Practice before United States District Court – District of Nevada.
- Candidate for Nevada Licensure of Certified Public Accountant (CPA). Deemed eligible from Nevada Board of Accountancy to take CPA exam and on track to complete all four sections of exam by or before December 2021.