Our clients are individuals, small businesses, large regional firms and public companies. They include health care systems, construction and engineering firms, health care and hospitals, banks, government contractors, retailers, trade associations, not-for-profit corporations, nursing homes and physicians.
Clients are referred to us by other clients and other lawyers.
As experienced counselors, we negotiate multimillion-dollar transactions and disputes, but we also serve the everyday needs of our clients for corporate counseling, tax planning, document preparation and review, professional licensing and other basic services.
Whitehead & Burnett has extensive experience assisting clients in developing and implementing e-business and information technology initiatives. Our E-Commerce and Information Technology Practice has substantial experience in the following areas:
- Technology development licensing and acquisition
- Outsourcing Technology and Business Processes
- Telecommunication and data transport services
- Domain name protection
- Web site development and management
- Intellectual property protection and rights
- Electronic commerce
- Content regulation
- Search Engine Submission and Meta Tags
Whitehead & Burnett represents both business entities and individuals in a wide array of complex civil litigation matters, including probate court and guardianship court, as well as state and federal appeals. Our firm has significant experience in litigation, arbitration, mediation, and negotiation. We represent clients in a wide variety of areas including:
- Business and commercial litigation
- Collection litigation and debtor-creditor law
- Business dissolution and intellectual property disputes
- Health care litigation
On the appellate level, we have argued before the Nevada Supreme Court and in the United States Courts of Appeals. Our staff is accessible and responsive. We strive to exceed each client’s expectations.
Corporate and Partnership Law
At Whitehead & Burnett,we advise clients in connection with the full range of corporate law matters, including:
- Mergers and acquisitions;
- Corporate restructuring;
- Business formations, including corporations, limited liability companies, limited partnerships, limited liability partnerships and other business arrangements;
- Maintaining corporate minutes;
- Corporate governance; and
- Commercial contracts, including shareholder, limited partnership, operating, employment, license, distribution, option, warrant, supply and other agreements;
We manage a wide range of corporate and securities transactions, from the development and implementation of structures, strategies, and business plans to the preparation and negotiation of the necessary documents. Whether your business is a start up, or a successful long term existing business, we have the staff experience and training to advise you for operating your business in today’s complex and turbulent climate.
Health Care Law
Whitehead & Burnett offers unique health care services from establishing a medical practice, operating a practice, acquiring a practice, either as a physician group or hospital organization, and to establishing best practices for managing compliance issues and risk management, and audits for early detection and prevention of health care fraud and abuse. We also act as general counsel for many small to medium-sized health care providers. We have been nick-named at times as the “doctor’s” lawyer due to the large number of physician practice representation, but also represent hospital organizations and their component parts.
Some health care providers prefer to keep us on retainer, while others depend upon our team of attorneys for very specific issues.
Our team of affiliated lawyers has extensive experience in all areas of health care. We identify important state and federal laws and regulations as they relate to patient care and staff conduct, while understanding and addressing your health care issues from a business perspective.
We handle matters related to health care law, business law, liability defense and appeals, fraud and abuse, professional board appearances, corporate compliance/risk management, HIPAA privacy and data security regulations, and employment law.
We represent a wide range of health care providers, including, but not limited to:
- Skilled nursing facilities
- Assisted living facilities
- Physical therapists
- Occupational therapists
- Speech language pathologists
- Certified Nursing Assistants
- Home health agencies
- Home health aides
- Medical directors
- Prosthetists and orthotists
- Durable medical equipment suppliers
- Medical billing companies and medical staffing agencies
Intellectual Property and Entertainment
Whitehead & Burnett‘s Intellectual Property and Entertainment Practice Group brings together attorneys from our core specialty disciplines within the firm, from Healthcare to Corporate to Business Litigation and Estate Planning, whether developing and subsequently closing transactions for the firm’s entertainment companies or handling matters for individual artists, musicians, authors, or small business owners. We bring value to our clients and strive to secure exceptional results whether it be through litigation, negotiation or alternative dispute resolution. The Intellectual Property and Entertainment group offers a full range of dispute resolution services, including resolving intellectual property and breach of contract issues. Our attorneys assist our clients by proactively identifying potential areas of liability and vigorously enforcing their contractual and property rights.
Our clients include individuals and institutions including internet companies, production companies, promoters, photographers, authors, merchandising companies, distributors, high net-worth individuals, financial institutions, music companies, publishers, executives, athletes and artists.
Areas of Focus
- Employment Agreements: Construction, Negotiation and Analysis.
- Talent Agreements: Construction, Negotiation and Analysis.
- Trademark Filings
- Internet and E-Commerce Law
- Media Law
- Software Licensing Agreements
- Transactional Entertainment, Licensing
- Content Purchase Agreements
- Video Game Licensing
- Motion Picture, Corporate Media and Entertainment
- Sports Law and Athlete Contracts
Litigation, Insurance and Debt Collection
Whitehead & Burnett understands and respects our clients’ budgets and deadlines, emphasizing case management, risk evaluation analyses, frequent communication and, above all, adherence to our clients’ goals. Generally, we offer legal services in areas of corporate and commercial litigation and dispute resolution, together within and outside the firm, including:
- Real estate
- Administrative Law
- Complex Health Care
Real Estate Law
Whitehead & Burnett‘s real estate lawyers have extensive experience representing both individuals and corporate clients in a full range of residential and commercial real estate matters. Whether dealing with a first time homebuyer or a seasoned commercial landlord, our real estate team handles everything related to a residential or commercial real estate transaction, including:
- Business formation and entity selection
- Buying and selling real estate
- Certificates of occupancy
- Commercial and retail development
- Construction law issues
- Contract drafting, negotiation and litigation
- Development and construction agreements
- Financing and refinancing
- Health care properties
- Investment properties
- Land use, zoning, variances, special exceptions, setbacks and permits
- Liens and lien releases
- Mortgages and foreclosures
- Preparing purchase agreements, deeds, leases and bills of sale
- Real estate closings
- Real estate corporations and real estate partnerships
- Real estate development and real estate developers
- Residential and commercial real estate transactions
- Title examinations and title insurance
Trusts, Estate Planning and Asset Protection
Whitehead & Burnett‘s Estates Planning & Trust Practice is highly focused, concentrating on estate planning, probate, trust law, and estate taxation.
Sound Estate Planning Solutions
Depending on each client’s unique circumstances, we can limit our advice to a single issue, or provide counsel on a wide range of personal or family objectives and how best to achieve them.
We often work with business executives on estate planning for stock option plans, retirement benefits, compensation plans, restricted stock and fringe benefits. With private and closely held companies, careful, creative estate planning is required to achieve the client’s goals. We advise owners of such businesses on alternatives for transferring ownership and control to the next generation, and in solving liquidity concerns associated with estate taxes. Given Nevada’s cutting edge laws on matters regarding asset retention and unnecessary collection from creditors, we are cognizant how to structure estate planning to maximize asset retention in this generation and into the next. Instruments such Nevada’s Domestic Asset Protect Trust are part and parcel of these estate planning tools.